Video Capsule Endoscopy Preparation
This test will help your doctor determine the cause of your symptoms and the best treatment for you. To ensure the best possible examination, be sure to read all information and follow directions carefully. Please call to advise us if you have a defibrillator.
Read and follow the instructions below or download a PDF copy.
- DO NOT take any medications that contain iron 5 days prior to the procedure.
- Please alert our office right away if you have a defibrillator.
DAY BEFORE: Diet & Preparation Instructions
- Avoid any products that have a red color for 3 days prior to your test.
- Do not take pain meds, muscle relaxers or gastrointestinal medicines 24 hours prior to test.
- You may eat a small breakfast early morning only, then no food for the remainder of the day. DRINK LOTS OF WATER, it will help clean out your small bowel.
- Purchase a medium size 238gm (14 day supply) of over-the-counter Miralax and one infant size bottle of simethicone.
- 7:00PM mix half of the Miralax into a large 20oz glass of water and add half of the bottle of simethicone. Drink this between 7:00PM – 8:00PM.
- Continue to DRINK LOTS OF WATER to stay well hydrated. Diabetic patients may have other clear liquids, as well.
DAY OF PROCEDURE
- 2 hours prior to your exam arrival time, mix the other half of the Miralax into a large 20oz glass of water and add the other half of the bottle of simethicone and drink all. DO NOT EAT.
- Male patients with a Body Mass Index (BMI) more than 30 should shave their entire abdomen on the day of the examination.
- Do not use body lotions or powder on the day of procedure.
- Wear a 2-piece, loose fitting cotton garment (t-shirts work best).
- Arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled procedure time.
- Plan to be at the facility for 1/2 hour.
- You will not need a driver.
- Continue to DRINK LOTS OF WATER. You may eat at noon.
- Return at 3:30PM on the day of the test to return the equipment.