FibroScan is a specialized ultrasound machine for your liver. It measures fibrosis (scarring) and steatosis (fatty change) in your liver. Fatty change is when fat builds up in your liver cells. You will lie on a cushioned table and gel will be applied to your skin, the gel acts as a conductor. A transducer, a hand-held device that sends and receives ultrasound signals, is moved over the area of your body being imaged.
Read and follow the instructions below or download a PDF copy.
Risks and discomforts: The gel may be sticky but the test should not cause any pain or discomfort. You may return to your normal diet and daily activities following this test.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing, such as sweatpants and a T-shirt.
- Do not eat or drink anything for 3 hours prior to your test.
- Do not consume any alcohol for 48 hours prior to your test.
- If you suspect you are pregnant, please notify your ordering physician – this test cannot be performed at this time.
- If you have any implanted electronic devices (examples = pacemaker, defibrillator) please notify your ordering physician, this test cannot be performed at this time.